Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 6: Tomatoes for Dinner

I'm going to go ahead and admit that I'm bad at shopping. It takes me a long time, and I'm usually not very well-prepared, and I inevitably end up calling my mother to help me choose a vegetable or find where something is in the store, choose a brand or just all-around tell me what to do.

Tonight, I did none of those things. Rather, I spent so much time making my list of foods that I want to buy for the week's meals that by the time I finally got to the store, there was nothing good there. I don't really know all the rules to picking the best vegetables--I usually just go with 'what looks and feels like something I actually want to eat'--but I know that the stuff in the produce section of Giant that day was not for me. So, I ended up coming back to my apartment mostly empty-handed, late, with just enough to prepare a Garden Tomato Salad for dinner and then to stay up late preparing the Silver Queen Corn Saute for tomorrow's lunch.

I think I didn't prepare the tomato salad's dressing exactly as Patrick had in mind. That is, I simmered, and it smelled and tasted really good, but I wasn't sure exactly how he wanted me to incorporate it into the salad, so I just poured it on top of everything. It kind of got a little soggy, but it definitely tasted good. And, of course, the Asiago cheese was delicious. I'm surprised we never tried that back in my middle school Latin cheese tasting days.

One salad and one side dish down tonight, hopefully I'll get on track for something good tomorrow. I really want to try the Potato Crusted Rainbow Trout this week. It seems easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment