Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 5: Fresh (sort of) Tuna Cakes

I made one more dish before leaving the Riddle household this weekend: Tuna Cakes.

Tuna cakes are actually pretty easy to make. They're like crab cakes, but with tuna and with a mustard mayonnaise laid underneath. Of course, once again, the key is in what vegties Patrick said to add to the mix (dill, capers, red onion, gherkins, olives). Simple, but effective. The hard part of this recipe was acquiring the tuna during what turned out to be the great Annapolis tuna shortage of 2010. No less than four stores in town had NO fresh tuna...so I sinned against Patrick and got some frozen tuna. I think he would be okay with it in this case and at least I tried.

The mustard mayonnaise, by the way, is very easy to make and I recommend it to add a little flavor to some other dishes. You don't have to use very much, so I think it's relatively healthy. All you have to do is add dry mustard to Dijon mustard to mayonnaise in a 1/2:1:4 ratio. Then add salt and pepper and jimmy with it until it tastes right.

"This is an excellent way to use up any leftover pieces or trimmings from tuna steaks."

1 comment: