Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Asparagus Aftermath


At some point between pureeing the boiling hot mixture on my stove, pouring it into the strainer, deciding not to strain it because I like little vegetable chunks in my soup (plus, it was pretty liquidy already), and moving some of the kitchen implements into the already overflowing sink; I realized that the state of my stove area would probably make Linda Blair have some flashbacks. It wasn't horrible, but there was a lot of green.

However, the soup did turn out soupy, and asparagusy (even if I didn't have quite the right amount of asparagus in it). After the pureeing, when I had it on low heat and was attempting to season it with salt and pepper (I don't yet have the taste for how much and what seasoning to use), I was really worried that this project was going to stop right where it started. That is to say, it really didn't taste good at all. However, I think I reached some kind of tipping point with the salt and pepper where the soup became at least edible.

Then, I whipped up the lemon cream.

Since discovering how to whip cream a couple months ago for KK's birthday, I have been looking for an excuse to do it. I just think it's really cool.
This lemon cream is really cool. All you do is take some whipping cream, add some lemon juice (1 Tblsp) and some lemon zest, and a pinch of sugar; then whip away. It isn't sweet, but it isn't sour. On it's own, it tastes very interesting, and I had to control myself from sucking it down just to experience the lemon taste with the creamy texture. With the soup, it makes the dish.

Patrick said to serve the soup warm in an individual bowl (I suppose not everyone has the little sipping cups) with a dallop of lemon cream. The cream melted into the soup, though I could still see the separation. And it was one of those things where I couldn't taste either separate ingredient, but their hybrid was pretty good--not perfect, and not great, but pretty good for a first try and much better than what I was expecting earlier in the process.

We'll see what BigKip has to say about it. He's my co-worker who is unwittingly being voluntold to be my taster and critic to some of the things I bring in for lunch. Pray for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment