Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 38: Saucy

I almost bought a blowtorch today.

This all started when I stayed late at work for a flight.  It was a good deal.  I would get to fly and experience some Mondo magic, and Swervin got to go home earlier for his birthday.  Of course, it also meant I needed some quick food for dinner, so Subway was in the cards instead of the planned rockfish dish with creamy garlic polenta.

When I got home and was still a bit hungry, I thought, "that's okay, I can run by the store to grab some chocolate for this weekend, then I'll make that polenta as a snack."  I ran by the store, found the chocolate quickly, and ran over to the hardware section just to see if they had a blowtorch for the creme brulee that I would like to make properly at some point.  They did.  However, I already had enough in my basket with the triple sec and sherry that I was buying also that I decided against spending another $30 on a needless appliance.  I'll probably end up getting one at some point anyway.  I'm almost positive I will.  Because after all; a specialized, potentially explosive, fire-making device seems like exactly the sort of thing I should own.

Then I got home and discovered that I have no cornmeal.  There went my dreams of a delightful fried polenta snack.  That just meant it was time to start early on Q's present.  Tonight became a tale of two sauces:

The first was a White Chocolate Sauce with triple sec and cream.  And the second was a Dark Chocolate Sauce with coffee, cream, and triple sec and brandy pretending to be Grand Marnier.  That's right, I actually drew a line and said no to buying something for Patrick tonight!  I feel a little bad about not following the letter of the law, but it's chocolate so of course it's good anyway.

Plus, I got to put the sauces in my new (cheap) plastic squeeze bottles that I finally found at the store tonight.  Trade a not super-productive night of cooking for a great night at the store and some good prep for this weekend.

Go Navy!  Beat Georgia Southern!

1 comment:

  1. Despite your given profession, I still feel as though I worry about your health more than necessary. A blowtorch? Really???

    Your desserts sound much fancier than mine. I made sticky buns today that were delicious. From 7th grade Teen Skills cookbook, too!

    ReplyDelete