Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 18: I'm so scared



I just ate my most terrifying meal yet:
Fresh Tuna Tartare on Tuna Carpaccio with Wasabi Mayonnaise

Now, I enjoy my sushi. And I like me some tuna. When I order sashimi from a restaurant, I trust that the sushi chef knows what he's doing. However, when I try to prepare some raw seafood at home, I have very little trust in myself. I've never done it before. But, I do trust Patrick and I'm committed to the project, so I went ahead with the recipe.

I just went very slowly and followed Patrick's directions very carefully.

It turned out tasty and Patrick was right once again that "The wasabi mayonnaise brings all the flavors together." This is the second mayonnaise I've made for the project (along with the mustard mayonnaise from the tuna cakes) and I have to say that this concept of flavored mayonnaises is really neat. I've never really been a huge mayonnaise person, but flavoring it can make it pop.

"Either the tartare or the carpaccio can be served by itself, but they're more interesting in combination."

Patrick also made another good combination choice. The tuna carpaccio (tuna hammered out into a thin slice) didn't taste very good by itself, nor was the texture very appealing. And the tuna tartare (like beef tartare, a sort of raw, molded, marinated tuna cake mixed with chives, cilantro and sesame seeds) was delicious but probably not great on its own. In combination, though (and especially with the mayo) it made a very good meal. Also my first "cold first course."

Now hopefully my stomach agrees with it overnight.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of possible food poisonings, make sure you check your eggs! Major E. coli contamination=DIARRHEA!

    Of course, if its a parasite, you may not have symptoms for a while...but I wouldn't worry too much about it ;).

    ReplyDelete